Lane Regional Medical Center officially began its $90 million dollar hospital expansion project. Demolition of the hospital’s west wing will make way for a new 82,000-square-foot, four-story patient tower. Work began with an official ceremony as demolition began.
Mayor Waites, who is on the regional hospital board, said “It is vital to ensure adequate access to hospitals to the people in this area who historically had to travel across East Baton Rouge and other parishes for care so I am very happy to see this critical resource being improved. Lane serves as the primary and emergency healthcare provider for more than 200,000 of our neighbors located throughout the region; not only do they serve Zachary but also Baker, Central, Clinton, Jackson, St. Francisville, New Roads, and North Baton Rouge.”
Major changes to the hospital include:
• New four-story tower and 37,000 square feet of interior renovations
• 48 new, private, expansive patient rooms with large windows & walk-in showers
• 6 new ICU rooms, double the current size, creating a total of 14 ICU rooms
• 2nd floor dedicated to a contemporary Surgery Department
• 4 new operating suites, double the current size, equipped with advanced technology
• 15 private, comfortable pre- & post-surgery patient rooms
• Endoscopy Center and Infusion Center relocated to inside the Surgery Department
• Patient Registration and Surgery Pre-admit areas relocated to the front entrance
• New dining room with more seating and upgraded serving line
• Expanded Lab and Imaging areas
• 2nd CT machine dedicated to ER and Pre-admit testing
• UV light technology for purified air throughout the facility
• Dedicated generator for the 4-story tower to ensure uninterrupted care
• New elevator with direct access to 2nd floor Surgery Department
• Enlarged gift shop
• Modernized front entrance
Established in 1960, Lane is a 139-bed, regional healthcare system that is continually expanding and adding new technologies, programs and services such as Interventional Cardiology, Medical & Radiation Oncology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Wound Care and Hyperbarics. With more than 850 dedicated team members, The hospital continues to grow and invest in the community by recruiting new physicians and providing access to the very best healthcare services, technologies, and programs available in the region.
“We are excited about the future of Lane and what this expansion means to all we serve,” says Lane CEO Larry Meese. “Upon completion in 2026, our newly modernized facility will expand Lane’s ability to provide patient-centered care as well as enhance our mission to provide exceptional healthcare services to every patient, every time.”
Pictured below is the conceptual drawing for the improvements now underway at Lane Regional .